The Book Club

For many years in the UK I worked in the Youth Service. It's odd how different the Youth Service here looks on the surface to the one I knew. In Cartagena, amongst other things, it acts as a "dating agency" for people who speak one language but want to learn another. By arranging appropriate pairings people get to hear and talk the other language with a native speaker.

Remarkably the Youth Service not only talks to me, as an old person, it also talks to the Library Service. Between them they have arranged a number of multilingual book clubs. You read a book in your target language and then turn up in a bar (how Spanish) to discuss it. The libraries provide the books.

I met the other people who are trying to learn Spanish and like reading yesterday when I was given my book Sabor a Chocolate (Chocolate flavoured) by José Carlos Carmona. There were Belgians and Germans and Austrians and most of them could have been my grandchildren.

It's a great book though. Dead easy, very fast and written in a short machine gun style that I rather like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second class citizens

A bit bigger than 12 gauge

Shopping