Skip to main content

Facades

There are lots and lots of nice buildings in Cartagena with frontages that are described as Modernist or Eclectic - apparently the period from 1873 to as late as 1944. There are so many in fact that lots of them are in a very sorry state.

I was passing the new Town Hall buildings just now and I saw they had an exhibition on about some of the facades that they've been doing up in a plan that started in 1997 and goes on till 2011. Apparently the Regional Government gives a grant of up to 75% with the owners picking up the tab for the other 25% and the Town Hall overseeing the total project. The idea is to look after the grade 3 listed buildings, the ones that wouldn't get help otherwise. As lots of the buildings have shops and commercial premises at street level they had to compromise there and allow contemporary styles but they've done things like remove blinds and signs to try to make the buildings simpler and more aesthetically pleasing.

The before and after photos made me realise that some of the buildings that I'd have thought were too far gone to be saved might still have life in them yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for a flat

Finding a house to rent in Spain is usually a pretty straightforward process. When I say house I really mean flat because, although it's not impossible to find houses in the middle of a town or city, by far the most usual style of dwelling for urban Spaniards is the flat.
I need to qualify this a bit further. It's easy to find a place if you are willing to pay an estate agent. The other options involve walking around random streets looking for to rent signs with your mobile phone to hand. We've only ever done it a couple of times and it has not produced good results.
The internet has made it a slightly less fraught process to find an individual renter and the place that Maggie rented in Ciudad Rodrigo came that way. Even then it takes ages to sift through the various websites usually to find that nobody answers your email or phone call except for the estate agents.
The estate agent method is the most straightforward but also the most costly. The standard charging process…

Where am I?

When I wrote the last post on this blog - Looking for a flat - I should really have written it on the Life in Culebrón blog because that's where I am at the moment.

In fact, apart from working in Cartagena it looks as though my links with the place are about to be cut. I am in the process of signing up for a flat in La Unión and the logic of naming the blogs must mean that the active ones are the places where I have a kettle. La Unión and El Culebrón.

There is a tab at the top of the page to navigate there or this is the link

La vuelta al curro

Certain Spanish soft news stories do the rounds each year. Spanish summer ends on 1 September and as people return to work the news always includes little filler pieces about how difficult it is to go back. In a couple of weeks time the story will be the cost of text books as the youngsters return to school. Back to school is la vuelta al cole, la vuelta al curro is what I've just done, back to work.

In fact we both started work today. We intended to leave Culebrón yesterday evening so we could unpack but the cat sensed something and scarpered so we had to put it off till this morning. Horrid, up at 5.30 - long before dawn. It was bad enough for Maggie after two months off but pity me - eighteen months since I last had a proper job. The strain! - polished shoes, shirt with collar, new people to meet, new routines to learn.

I'm working at the Wall Street Institute in Cartagena and everyone was welcoming and friendly. The centre has a good positive feel to it and the teaching me…