Eshtop im!

I'd been to one of my language exchanges just before the match with Portugal. I wasn't able to get home in time so it had to be a bar. Fortunately it was a bar with a copious supply of cheap brandy.

It  looked like a scrappy first half to me, but what do I know about football? The second half seemed much better. In those last ten minutes, the ones where one goal doesn't seem like anywhere near enough of a cushion, we were one up. The bar was on tenterhooks. Every time the Portuguese had posession the tension mounted. Stop him, stop him! I mouthed into my brandy. Maybe I was louder than I thought. I noticed the Spanish man sitting at the table to my left staring at me.

The Portuguese pushed forward again. ¡Eshtop im!, ¡eshtop im! shouted my neighbour.

And they did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second class citizens

A bit bigger than 12 gauge

Shopping