Just a tad out of kilter

We've been back in Cartagena for a week now and we still haven't really settled.

Temperatures have dropped to the high twenties so it's not been hot but it has been very sticky. Opening the windows for a cooling breeze brings traffic noise.

Maggie is back at school but the children don't return till next week and she's still trying to organise this year's teaching timetable. The usual routine of school life has been replaced by planning meetings and preparations.

I've started work too without yet getting into a rhythm. I'm used to jeans and T shirts but for work it's more formal. The sweat dribbles inside the polycotton shirts. I've done a few classes, some at the centre and some on the premises of client companies, but I've still not settled to the teaching materials or house style. My hours keep changing too as my boss tries to juggle being nice to me with effective use of my time.

The household routines have fallen victim to my changing timetable. The flat is a bit grubby, the mealtimes moveable and the laundry more haphazard. I'm not listening to the radio, watching the TV news or buying a daily paper so I feel vaguely disconnected. It's the same with my  "intercambios", the sessions speaking Spanish and English which I can't re-establish until I know when I'll be free from week to week.

Of course it will all sort itself out in time and we'll get ourselves organised but at the moment it's all a bit of a muddle and both unsettling and unsettled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second class citizens

A bit bigger than 12 gauge

Shopping