See what I mean?

A while ago I put an advert on some Internet site advertising as an English teacher.

After seeing the ad the owner of a language school contacted me by email saying that she was looking for someone who spoke good Spanish as well as English and did I fit the bill? I replied (in Spanish) saying that I was sorry but that my Spanish wasn't too hot. It was a very short message but, because I remembered to put an accent on a simple word, the langauge school owner came back and suggested I give her a ring.

We spoke in English for a while then she said we should speak in Spanish. A few sentences into the conversation she said that my Spanish was OK. My response was "Pero hago demasiado errores" which is supposed to mean "But I make too many mistakes" - it's a direct translation from English. It's not what Spaniards would say, they would say "I commit too many mistakes" or "Cometo demasiados errores."

And it's stuff like that which upsets me. Simple, easy, something I know but something else I got wrong, wrong, wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit bigger than 12 gauge

Second class citizens

Shopping